Wednesday 15 April 2020

Fiddly Diddly

The new album seems to have gone down fairly well. I think the simple/minimal formula is working for me. Only took 40 years to discover it ;)

Back to novel work last night, sorting out a short but important timeline I'd skimmed over. May do more today, or continue playing with Hydrasynth - the new firmware fixes one Arp gripe but adds another (it 'replays' the notes of the arpeggio when you turn the Arp off). The clocklock parameter works properly now though (apart from a strange note repeat bug thing that has so far happened just once) and there are new noise colours and a new Mutant, which isn't terribly interesting until you modulate it, then it's kinda cool.

Sent in a support issue to ASM explaining some of the issues with 1.4 that I've found. Included a video.

Novel coming along, I checked the word count out of curiosity and I'm at approx 50,000 which feels about right for this stage in the story. May be just a fraction over half way through.

Just had to get in touch with medical centre about the mole on my back, which has been getting itchy of late and has started changing shape. Would love to ignore but it now has a different coloured border. At least the crustiness of the other day has gone. Nurse meant to be ringing this afternoon.

Tuesday. Going shopping later, once Pat comes back from horse ride and does me a list. Sun shining and I'm listening to Tracks & Traces again - Harmonia and Eno. I think it's my favourite of the Eno/Cluster records. I've had the 'remixed' version for years, which is nothing special, but the original is fab. Also got the Philip Glass Music in 12 parts album, of which I've only played the first three so far. It falls into Glass's 'relentless' category so is gonna take some time. So far one of those albums that you feel such overwhelming relief and joy when it ends. Hopefully that will change but I daren't play in front of Pat in case she thinks the record is stuck. :)

Wednesday. Saw a fox on my morning walk, down by the river Lostock. Sky getting more criss-crossed by planes and roads much busier so I fear nature's holiday from us is winding down. Nurse and doc reckon my weird mole could be a fungal infection (seems unlikely to me) so it's cream for 2 weeks and another look. On the plus side, the doc is capable of doing minor surgery so can whip it off if necessary. Shopping today but later as waiting for UPS to take Hydrasynth away.

Backed up all my sounds and sent to my module. Will miss the keyboard but if the Osmose doesn't work out (and no 5 octave temptations have appeared by then) I'm sure I'll be able to find one. No word from Tom about GR-1 but no hurry there.

I'm on disk 3 of the Philip Glass. It occurs to me how precious those silences between movements would be in any live performance of the piece. I do kinda like it though and movement 7 is strangely magical. Deep respect for the musicians able to play this stuff - it's almost trance-like but not enough for a performer to relax or zone out.


You probably can't see the fox in this but the phone ain't much cop for zooming.







No comments:

Post a Comment