Tuesday 7 April 2020

Splendid Isolation!

The new ambient album is done, I think. I shaved a couple of minutes off it, mostly by smoothing some of the fades and doing proper transitions. Also changed the running order again. Just need a title in keeping with its low key nature, and a suitable cover image. Will leave the other on Wily's bandcamp site and make this one pay-if-you-like too. Must kill that other I put up.

I passed the point in the Book where Roedelius deals with 'Jardin'. Turns out it was an unhappy experience for him and I think more of the credit for the album's greatness has to go to Baumann than I had thought - seems he did a lot of arranging of scraps and snippets, although the text is far from clear on any of it. My biggest hope for the book has so far proved forlorn. There's almost nothing new or detailed about the recording of any of the albums, very little about working methods and approach in general.

Funny how Jardin was my first Roedelius album and although I bought dozens more, none ever quite lived up to it. Now I think I know why. Seems the man didn't even come up with the title. Some of the unused material found its way onto Lustwandel, which I didn't know before but should have worked out. Lacking Baumann's polish, that album was always a bit so-so for me (but not sowie-soso, hoho).

Anyhoo, I might get my paints out tomorrow..

It's tomorrow (Tuesday) and sunny again. I finished the Roedelius book. One of the poems had been translated into English - I remembered it from the gig. Well, I'm no wiser of course but the fault was in expecting to be. I'm not destined to be wise. Shall I too adopt the term 'autodidact' or continue with my 'I know nothing'?

I think the new album is done. I've a cover, pending Tony's approval of my using his photo. I have a vague feeling about moving a couple of track that come towards the end - the one with the backwards kick could go much earlier and the short one that just hangs there could find a better earlier home too.


possible alternate title (although seems a pixel or two too much to the right at this resolution)

No comments:

Post a Comment