Tuesday 10 June 2014

Disappointed in Roland

So I got my answer about the RC-505 looper and it's basically 'that's how it is and we aren't going to fix it'. I honestly think that Roland's engineers work in some kind of vacuum but I think I see now why so many people have given up on them.

To briefly explain, the RC-505 has, in theory, three loop modes: Auto, Free and 'specific number of bars'. In reality it only has two, the first two. The third mode only exists on paper because when you use it, you find there's no way to record just a specific number of bars, you have to count them yourself and manually stop recording - exactly the same as 'Free' in other words. I have tried to appeal but they offer the usual lame excuses such as 'we had no other choice' and 'due to the limitation of the software development'...

If you're going to shift to entirely software/digital, at least employ some engineers who are good at it! Old Roland had such flair, such a sure feel for the right sound and function. I miss them terribly.

Hopefully house roof will be finished today and I can put my studio back as it was. Very ready. Tomorrow the Headshock album is officially launched. I think a small Roland synth is coming for review...

STOP PRESS - thanks so much to Tomas who suggested a workaround to the above RC505 issue. Will try tomorrow and report back all the details - cheers dude!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment