Sunday 3 January 2010

Smoke and mirrors

Interestingly, I discover that it's impossible to design a complete JV2080 environment for Logic due to its built-in limitation of 15 banks per multi instrument. As the JV has more than 128 patches in many of its expansion banks, both MSB and LSB are used to access the banks (hence about 30 Logic banks required). Makes me wonder how many folks have actually done this as nobody volunteered the info "oh BTW this doesn't work, you'll need to define at least two environments actually". Another area where Cubase wees all over Logic. Ultimately, I guess I bought Logic solely for its exs sampler, those samples I got from Paul, and Apple Loops.

Have decided to make a CD every fortnight of all tracks in progress sorted best to worst. When I start to run out of room, drop the crap stuff from the end. That way I'll simulate working to a deadline and force a rate of progress. Sunday evening could be one of polishing what I have and trying to make something out of it - good practice, methinks.

Tried reading the manuals for NI stuff but most are very thin thanks to multi-language print. There are "real" manuals but, of course, as acrobat files. It is just a Mac thing to skimp on manuals and leave you goggling at the bloody screen all the time?

Bright, cold day for walkies.

Wow, turns out I like Reaktor! The synths Carbon, Green Matrix and Junatik all sound great as do the weird sample transformers and drone makers. A bank of Howard's sounds in Green Matrix - nice. Not easy to automate in Logic due to the vast number of parameters, some of which, on page B, I couldn't immediately identify on the long list.

Tonight Logic mostly behaved as I began a bit of a track. More Apple Loops. The message "disk too slow or system overload" appeared so I closed down and started up again and it didn't reappear. Perhaps due to extensive playing of Reaktor stand-alone prior to starting Logic.

On Mac file menu, how do I see last modified date? Or, indeed, any useful data.

Logic: doesn't always snap position correctly for some reason.
Why does it deactivate follow when I zoom in?
How to insert rest in step time? Best search manual I guess....

Another evening ends. Must slick up my command of Logic, could dearly appreciate someone who knows it well so I could ask my many questions. Ordered book from Amazon by that bloke off the forum. Good thing he's on thanks to Apple not printing manuals any more... will hassle him even more if my questions not answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment