Sunday 25 August 2013

Sun on a Sunday

Glorious day. I found some more pix of Phil and gathered together as many CDRs as I can see without really digging. There's enough to keep me going, way more than Headshock and after that my own stuff and Ideation trail far behind. Phil left me a lot of treasure..

... and if he'd got his way we'd have recorded even more. Maybe "record everything" is the best way - but only if you multitrack. Otherwise it's just so many frustrating might-have-beens. IMHO.

I put on one at Random, from May 05, and already it's wonderful. A dubby track with a weird voice sample. I'd forgotten about this yet listened to quite a bit at one time.

Colin left me a P3 and I'm so glad to play it again. I think you can forget the speed compromises over time as you're tempted by more features and other fripperies. In fact less functions but a good set - doesn't have to be perfect or exhaustive, in fact quite good to leave out something you have to devise cunning solutions to. Like the thing I did with Scenes in Cirklon/Octatrack that is really quite darn useful.

So why is the P3 still so cool? Only 8 tracks, limited? Small screen, only 8 fixed Parts...etc.
It's fast, really fast with those buttons - so much faster to hit several in succession than push a small round encoder. Playlists rule! Simple Part chaining works as you'd want. Have restricted it to Perfourmer, think they're perfect together so far. May include ESX sample tracks as yore, we'll see. Probably won't take ESX to Awakenings but interesting things done with the Octatrack might be fun. Can prepare all tracks for Cm in advance. That thing needs a pattern transpose option.





No comments:

Post a Comment